Pages

July 23, 2014

We’re off to see the lizard(men): Majestic Nights is an RPG set in a conspiracy-filled 1980s

Finkle is Einhorn.

Finkle is Einhorn.

I am not a believer in conspiracy theories. In my time, I’ve worked for and with enough big companies and government agencies to know that they generally hang together with duct tape and bubble gum and can barely sort themselves out, much less manipulate a new world order on behalf of a shadowy Illuminati.

But not believing conspiracy theories is no barrier to loving them. And I love them. I used to listen to the Art Bell show on a battery-powered AM radio in my room every night I could get away with it when I was a kid. And my favourite thing about Deus Ex was that it was essentially an Art Bell show given video game form, with an enthusiastically uncritical embrace of every crackpot notion from Majestic 12 to Area 51.

Australian devs Epiphany Games might have had my same late night radio listening habits. Their new game Majestic Nights is an isometric RPG set “in an alternate 1980s where all conspiracy theories, past and present, are true”. The game casts you as former intelligence agent Cardholder and private investigator Cal who are seeking The Truth across the six episodes of Majestic Nights. The first prologue episode (“Sunset After Dark”) will be free when it arrives in late 2014 on desktops and tablets. Epiphany previously produced fantasy action game Runic Rumble.

Watch the skies for chemtrails and black helicopters until then. For the moment, there’s a trailer and screenshots after the jump, and you can monitor the movements of Epiphany Games on Facebook.

Must be tough to get a lot of work done in that bunker.

Must be tough to get a lot of work done in that bunker.

A little George Lucas reference there.

A little George Lucas reference there.

This is how Knocked Up started.

This is how Knocked Up started.

No comments:

Post a Comment