Pages

August 29, 2014

I got pig iron, I got all pig iron: Steam coming to tablets next year

I got cows, I got pigs, I got sheep, I got mules, I got all live stock [Image by John Moller]

Martin Wallace is one of those board game designers who’s work is criminally underrepresented in the digital medium. Sure, you can play Brass in a browser (and it works great), but where are the native apps of his other classic board games? Why can’t I play Automobile, Tinner’s Trail or Liberté? More importantly, where is his magnum opus Age of Steam or its slightly streamlined cousin Steam?

The answer is over at iOS Board Games where they’ve snagged an interview with Alex Yeager of Mayfair Games indicating that Steam is coming next spring/summer to tablets, presumably both iPad and Android.

Steam is a pick up and deliver game in which players must build networks of rails between cities and then deliver cubes from one city to another. The trick comes in supplying cities with goods that they actually want and having both a rail system and locomotives that are capable of delivering each good. Make no mistake: Steam is beefy. It will be the heaviest euro game available for digital, surpassing even the robust Agricola in terms of complexity. That said, it’s also incredibly rewarding and one of my favorite board games ever.

Check out the interview with Alex Yeager of Mayfair Games after the break.

No comments:

Post a Comment