Pages

September 30, 2014

Are we the baddies? Herocraft’s Strategy & Tactics WWII Sandbox lets you play WWII as any country you want

I'm fighting as the People's Front of Judea.

I’m fighting as the People’s Front of Judea.

It’s no big exaggeration to say that Herocraft’s Strategy & Tactics WWII was one of my least favourite games of 2013. In Bizarro World my assertion that it was “a complete failure of a game” is a box quote. But it’s entirely possible that I’m crazy: Herocraft have been reinvesting in that light wargame with numerous expansions over the past year, and today they’ve come out with a brand new edition of it, so maybe I’m alone in hating it?

Strategy & Tactics WWII Sandbox tears down the walls of last year’s title, which was built around a string of scenarios, and opens up all of Europe. You can take control of any country in the conflict and essentially do as you please. Make a separate peace with Germany as the US and invade Russia. Stultify future historians by crushing the Western world as Greece. There’s 16 playable countries, with 10 more en route, the devs say.

Given my antipathy for the original game, I’m not exactly holding my breath about this one. But maybe a bigger, more epic sweep and interesting non-battlefield activities are what S&T needs to redeem the mushy, undifferentiated combat engine. And hey, maybe the combat itself has improved from when I last saw it. Even better: there don’t appear to be any in-app purchases either, which were another thing dragging the first game down.

It sounds like this grand strategy incarnation of S&T is a lot closer to what it was originally intended to be: the mobile version of Hearts of Iron, before Paradox pulled the rug out.

Strategy & Tactics WWII Sandbox is on iOS for $10, and it’s on Android too. I’ll give it a spin and report back my findings.

In other Herocraft news, I’ve been mucking about with a press preview build of their Warhammer 40K Space Wolf tactical game — and that one doesn’t seem too bad so far, actually. Space Wolf is due out in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment