Pages

December 16, 2014

Korsun pocket? Unity of Command follow-up for tablets “distinctly possible”

Paso doble.

Paso doble.

True story. When I build a new PC, I do three things: install Windows, replace the desktop background with a photo of my 1997 graduating class from Mount Hexmap Academy of Super-villainy and Above-Average-Villainy, and install Unity of Command.

I pity the fool who hasn’t played Unity of Command, a game that is by far the most polished, accessible, and challenging PC wargame released in memory. It takes the brutally un-romantic muddy slog of WWII’s Eastern Front and turns it into an elegant tactical ballet. When Apple releases the implantable iBrain in 2018, the first thing I install on it will be Unity of Command.

Last month on their blog, Unity of Command devs 2×2 said that work on a follow-up game was underway. “We’ve been working on our new game for quite some time now,” says Tomislav Uzelac in that blog post.

“We are adding significantly to the game’s repertoire of mechanics, while hopefully not overcooking it. This will enable us to represent things like amphibious landings, para drops, intelligence effects, some naval action etc. The new system should be more versatile, so we could represent much more of WWII in it, and not just the maneuver-rich campaigns on the Eastern Front.”

Awesome, of course.

This morning, I found myself half-remembering a conversation I’d had with Uzelac on Twitter earlier this year, where he’d told me that UoC for tablets just wasn’t going to happen, but that a future Unity of Command… you never know. I got in touch with Uzelac this morning about that and here’s what he told me.

What are the odds of Unity of Command 2 coming to tablets?, I asked.

“[In] ‘UoC2′ (note quotation marks), the new code is done in such a way that a tablet port is distinctly possible,” Uzelac said. “We’re still targeting the PC first, as I feel it’s the better platform for introducing new games, but there will be no (large) technical obstacles to porting to tablets.”

Well hot diggity dog. The new Unity of Command game (not UoC 2!) could very well be on the march to your iPad or Android tablet, though we should keep expectations to a mild simmer for now. The PC release certainly isn’t imminent, so expecting a mobile release before 2016 seems optimistic. But this is very good news.

Hat-tip to RPS for the reminder.

post from sitemap

No comments:

Post a Comment