Pages

June 18, 2015

Out Tonight: Warhammer 40K Armageddon, Wellington’s Victory and more

I don't want to miss a thing

I don’t want to miss a thing

There have been more than a few somewhat dry release nights so far in 2015. This is not one of those nights. Indeed, this might be one of the best release nights of the year, so let’s not waste any time and jump right in.

Warhammer 40K: Armageddon is a massive game, and it needs to be. It covers the entire Second War for Armageddon from the initial Ork landings to the liberation of the planet. Now, if you’re like me, that sentence might as well read “My hovercraft is full of eels” in Hungarian. I know nothing about the Warhammer universe, and even less about Warhammer 40K. Even so, I’m buying this game simply because it looks like an incredible hex-based war game, regardless of the theme. If you’re into Warhammer, then it’s a no-brainer. Over 300 different units and 30 scenarios that are story-based and can have events from Warhammer history erupt, changing everything. It’s even giving me a chance to type four words I never thought I would: Ork Warboss Ghazghkull Thraka. Let’s see any other wargame pull that off.

Oh, and if you get tired of the huge single-player campaign, you can also play against your friends via PBEM or create your own scenarios using the built-in modding tools. If that’s not enough, it’s been out on PC for a bit and getting rave reviews and that’s without the Untold Battles DLC which comes along for free on iPad.

Armageddon is for iPad only, but I haven’t been able to find it on the NZ App Store to grab a link or price. Considering Slitherine’s past pricing on games like Battle Academy and Panzer Corps, $20 isn’t out of the question.

More games after the break. Don’t worry, it’s all good tonight.

Okay, I’m going to just come out and say it: HexWar is starting to get annoying. I mean, their stuff is fantastic, but my carpal tunnel is acting up and I’m tired. Give it a rest, people!

I kid, I kid. The more the better and this week has them leaving the lab and going back to their wargame roots with Wellington’s Victory, another port of a Decision Games title. This one covers the Battle of Waterloo and contains 7 different missions and a gaggle of Napoleonic units to boss around. It looks like standard HexWar fare, which means a good hex-based wargame with some great graphics.

Wellington’s Victory will be for iOS Universal and run $12.

The last game that deserves mention tonight isn’t a stand alone game, but the first extension to the excellent Wars & Battles from last year. Tonight we get the October War of 1973 which, I’m pretty sure, hasn’t been simulated on the iPad before. Hell, I can only find one cardboard game that focuses on the conflict, and that was made back in 1977.

To get the expansion, you’ll need to first grab the base game for $7 and the October War will appear as IAP for, I think, $10. Oh, and it’s not just for iPad, either. It should be releasing for Android today or tomorrow as well.

I can’t find any footage of the October War in action, so you’ll have to look at the original release material to see what your cold hard cash will get you.

post from sitemap

No comments:

Post a Comment