Pages

October 27, 2014

Getting a free pass : King of Dragon Pass celebrates 15 years with a sale

Varsens is the Gloranthan word for "hawk".

Varsens is the Gloranthan word for “hawk”.

My iPad is one of the 64GB models which, at the time, seemed like more than enough memory. Turns out it wasn’t and every time I want to get a new game on my iPad I have to do “the shuffle”. Delete apps I haven’t used in awhile, delete Police Academy 5, move those Starfleet uniform/green screen selfies to Dropbox, etc. You’ve all been there, I’m sure. In all the shuffles one game has never been removed from my iPad: King of Dragon Pass.

The more I think about that, it’s pretty odd because I’ve never completed a full game of King of Dragon Pass. I’ve tried, but I always find that I’ve botched things up beyond repair, or can’t figure out how to get something done, so I end up quitting. Despite my failings, I always go back and try again, so KoDP is staying right where I need it to be.

For those who have no idea what I’m talking about (hi, Mom!) King of Dragon Pass is a game unlike anything else you’ve played. It’s a storytelling game that’s part choose-your-own-adventure part civilization game and part raw genius. You control a tribe and they, as well as your neighbors, react to your decisions and commands but it’s all done with still photographs, great writing, and screens and screens of stats and sliders to control everything about your tribe.

If you’re one of the few to have not picked it up yet, now’s your chance. A Sharp is putting King of Dragon Pass on sale for all platforms starting on October 29th. For 5 days you can pick the game up for 50% off the regular price, which means you can snag it on iOS for $5 or on Android where it already appears to be $5.

For those of you who love KoDP, A Sharp has also told us that they’re working on a spiritual successor to KoDP called Six Ages. Like KoDP, it will be a storytelling game set in the world of Glorantha, but it’s looking like a 2016 release so we’re still quite a ways from any solid news.

King of Dragon Pass trailer after the break.

No comments:

Post a Comment